Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Thursday 24 September 2015

Two Girls, Two Dogs


It’s 1962 and I am walking with my friend Linda, in Partridge Woods, close to where we live. We were just two girls who were dog mad and would have loved to own these poodles, Tina and Sherry; instead we dog-walked for their real owners. My father, who took this picture, would have driven us all to the woods where the dogs could be let off the lead and get their noses into all those woody scents.


Here we are again in my family’s back garden, and the dogs are being very well-behaved, posing perfectly for their picture. My recollection is that Tina was Sherry’s Mum but I may be wrong. Their owners were always happy for us to exercise the dogs and we would walk for miles in the fields near our homes. Those fields are all gone now; filled with modern houses.


Eventually, when I was eleven years old, I became a dog owner myself, and what did I choose? A poodle of course. My mother, who had recently been very seriously ill was relieved that the dog was small, and didn’t shed hairs. it wasn’t long before he became a part of the family.
Here I am with Kim and my (now) Sister-in-Law, and her dog, Heidi, a daschund.

Two girls, two dogs, just like our Sepia Saturday prompt picture this week. Why not join us there at the weekend to see what other contributors have come up with.


14 comments:

  1. We really love our poodle. The characteristics and behavior are so great. Smarter than most people will admit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect match for the prompt. The photo of you with the poodle reminded me of a couple photos I have used before, but since I have no new story to tell, I'm moving on with a different photo despite its not being as clear a match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great matching. Looks like those dogs were a source of great pleasure over the years. Partridge Woods
    was beautiful - too bad it's gone like so many other wide open spaces we enjoyed in our youths.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little dogs are sweet, but I am not such a fan of large dogs. When I was young we only had cats, so I am not used of having dogs around. The poodles look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness, you have certainly known your sister-in-law a very long time, and she must be a good friend too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos match the prompt beautifully. Sad that the fields are now covered in houses though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun and Partridge Woods looks like my kind of place to wander about. Seems you and I had a lot in common, and I'm still dog mad, and have three of my own. Funny thing I never knew years ago that poodles don't shed! Our little Dash has just enough poodle in him that he doesn't shed either. We won't talk about my other two. I'm putting my post together as well, so I can join in again this week! I've missed all the SS folks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great match for this week's prompt. I know our cockier spaniels (3 over 30 years) loved walks in the woods where they could scramble around. .
    Family History Fun

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first photo is a gem, one that really doesn't need any supporting information - it tells a story all by itself. In fact it would be very hard to describe that photo in words and do it justice. But I do wonder why the girls are looking to the right -what have they seen. A snapshot in time. Very impressive. Thanks to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Full marks for a great match! I echo boundforoz' comment, the first photo has a special quality of accidental art.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember that feeling of being a little girl and very fond of animals, in my case it was cats. I still like them but they don't have the same fascination as they did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember that feeling of being a little girl and very fond of animals, in my case it was cats. I still like them but they don't have the same fascination as they did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember that feeling of being a little girl and very fond of animals, in my case it was cats. I still like them but they don't have the same fascination as they did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that first snapshot. It's perfection.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.