Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Thursday 19 February 2015

Mummy’s Little Boy


My father enjoyed taking the quirky shot or two, and the above example is one of his. It’s my Mother peering at a little (very little) boy, seemingly perched on her hand. It’s actually my brother, about 1952, so he really was Mum’s little boy - but not that little......



........ Neither did he have such enormous feet as would appear in this shot. Both pictures seem to be taken on the same day, on a family outing to Wollaton Hall, Nottingham. They could even have been snapped within a few minutes of each other, without Dad even having to get up off the floor! Perhaps the camera was a new one and Dad was trying it out, or it may well have been that it was an idea that he had read about and his family were on hand to assist as his subjects, willing or otherwise.

Our Sepia Saturday prompt this week suggested ‘little and large’ as a possible theme. So there you have it - little boy with large feet. Join other contributors to see what they made of the image below.


17 comments:

  1. A interesting look at big and little. I think there will be some interesting interpretations of Sepia Saturday's theme this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photo of your mother holding your brother in the palm of her hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now these are fun photos -- I love your dad's quirky humor. I bet by the time all the Sepians finish posting by Saturday afternoon, this will still be my favorite take on the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo of your little brother with his very big feet! Nice idea for the little and large theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent choices for large/small photos. I think I'm one of the rare photographers who never tried the "holding" something small that was way in the distance. Perhaps the moon, or a car, depending upon who I get to model for me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it. Who needs high powered tech to create a special effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those quirky shots are a lot more fun to view than ordinary shots, and I imagine they were fun to make originally..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet your Dad had lots of fun with his camera. Our children all took a basic photography class in grade 5 where they paired up & took photos like those. They loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Obviously your father was very inventive with his camera! What fun. Both photos you've chosen fit the category just right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We used to try doing that hand-holding thing in photographs occasionally, normally with less than convincing results, unlike your father's successful photograph here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Today, in the digital era, you can just take 20 pics and pick out the best, back then it wasn't that easy. The first photo is especially well done since there are no problems with the focus. Nice castle in the background, England seems to be covered with these kind of beautiful buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your father was very creative, which was not easy to do with film camera's. I love what different camera angles can do to perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your dad did a great job with his camera work, especially the second one. It looks like he (or the camera) was on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quirky is good fun. You must have files filled with fun photos of family. Adds a whole different dimension to the chronicle of family history. Loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I reckon something intentional about it! Lovely pics, both of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brilliant! Both photos made me smile - what a great sense of humour your Dad had! Must have been fun taking them and then waiting to see how they turned out.
    Perfect take on the prompt too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these photos, especially that first one! What a great take on the theme and a well-posed photo.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.