Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Sunday 7 February 2016

Sentinel


Sculpture standing in the harbour, Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, Islas Canarias*

All year beside the ocean vast,
a figure from the island’s past, 
a watcher - stands, eyes fixed ahead
to distant lands, unlimited
by faint horizons, or memory’s anchor cast.

Unmoving, as a statue, strong
and solid as a rock; the long
Watch is kept until this earth’s end.
Loyal guardian, look-out, friend,
Custodian of this isle, where all of us belong.

We hurry past and hardly spare
a glance; without a thought or care.
And still the staunch defender’s heart
is brave, and faith does not depart.
In this, the sacred task, the sentinel stands square.

© Marilyn Brindley 2016

Written in response to this picture prompt by Tess Kincaid at Magpie Tales. Tess encourages bloggers in the ‘honing of their crafts, sharing it with like-minded bloggers, and keeping their muses alive and well.'

I set myself the extra task of writing to a poetic form, as is my wont; I like a challenge. This the Florette No.2. I’ve used the Florette before, but this one really had me biting my pencil. The rhyme scheme is a, a, b, b, a, and the meter is 8, 8, 8, 8, 12, with three stanzas! I know, what was I thinking? In the end I enjoyed the task. I haven’t written a poem for ages, but I’ve just started a new online course that has made me re-visit some of the poems I love and reminded me why I  enjoy poetry so much.





















*Sculpture paying tribute to ‘ the generations of Canarians (our ancestors) who encouraged their children to improve their education and resources, promoting the development of towns and contributing to our current level of well-being'. Sculptor Chano Navarro Betancor.


26 comments:

  1. A difficult form, you managed it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen. Now I’ve tried it I may come back to it someday.

      Delete
  2. Oh dear you've replaced a woman with a man , how sexist !
    Gday there L'Nell , good to see you again me hearty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who says I have? Oh, you mean the picture. My poem does not allude to gender and could apply to either figure :) Thanks for the welcome back message.

      Delete
  3. You may have been biting your pencil, but the end result makes it look effortless for you! Very, very nice piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful, Marilyn. I happen to like that form, but it is not easy to use. Beautiful result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara. I must admit it’s growing on me.

      Delete
  5. I think you handled the form beautifully. I was thinking of taking online classes, just haven't gotten to it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donnetta. This wasn’t a creative writing course as such but the poetry we dicussed last week was what spurred me on.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for your encouraging words. Your sentinels in Holland are absolutely vital.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OF course you know I love the use of form, and you do it so well.
    Really enjoyed this!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great effort you put into writing to form. I struggle with rhyming schemes...but perhaps I should challenge myself to try it. This reads beautifully! I tried to choose a favorite line...but could not. I love the piece in whole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely poem! I love the image of the faithful man standing watch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always loved writing to form, but had gotten away from it lately. This wonderful piece may just bring me back!Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love writing to form and meter.. And I love how you let the content take the forefront... Makes me want to try form again..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmmm that image does make one think about "the other side"

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.