Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Wednesday 6 May 2015

Something to Celebrate


Friday 8th May is the 70th Anniversary of Victory in Europe Day or VE Day, the public holiday declared to mark the formal acceptance by the Allies of WW2 of Nazi Germany’s surrender, and thus marking the end of the War in Europe.

 There will be remembrance services and street parties this weekend. Beacons will be lit and the occasion will be commemorated with events all across UK. We can look forward to some interesting radio and TV programmes, where no doubt people will be sharing their stories and pictures.

The Royal British Legion also has a wonderful VE Day webpage full of old photos and memories, just like lots of Sepia Saturdays all rolled into one! Please go and visit. In the meantime here is my own contribution to mark the occasion. On VE Day there were many parties, often hosted by the local church, and the one above is exactly that. The young lady on the far left is my mother, and seated on her knee is my big brother, aged about ten months. That huge plate of buns wasn’t all for them!

The photograph has seen better days and it will be some time before I get round to putting some work into it. This makes it the perfect match for this week’s Sepia Saturday prompt of old photos in need of care and attention.


I can’t leave my Dad out of the celebrations as he would have loved see this weekend's events. The War may have been over but it would be sometime before all the service men and women could be ‘de-mobbed’ and retun to civilian life. Here’s Dad enjoying some home leave with Mum and my brother, in a photo taken around the same time.

The war in Europe was over, but Winston Churchill, in his speech reminded everyone that a brief period of rejoicing could be allowed but that, “We must not forget for a moment the toil and efforts that lie ahead. Japan, with all her treachery and greed, remains unsubdued. The injury she has inflicted on Great Britain, the United States and other countries, call for justice and retribution. We must now devote all our strength and resources to the completion of our task, both at home and abroad. Advance, Britannia! Long live the cause of freedom! God save the King!”

Stirring words, and I expect Winnie allowed himself a glass of something and a celebratory cigar after that. Others toasted with cups of tea and a bun.

16 comments:

  1. Your photo is very interesting and timely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting photo, with the buns and the paper hats. And your mother and brother. It must have been hard to believe it was over at last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two very special photos. The state of the first one doesn't take away from what an incredible moment it must have been. You can just imagine the joy and relief in that room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a VE day post some time ago. What a great couple of photos to have, in spite of their condition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think sometimes we over here 'across the pond' forget how right in the middle of it all you & your families were in the war. Yes, we (finally) sent men & arms to help, but we didn't have the war right over the top of our heads - except for Pearl Harbor, of course, so I can see why those VE Day celebrations, when the war was over, meant & still mean so much to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos to have. I'm sorry that we'll miss the VE Day celebrations, as we don't arrive in England until next Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the blurry shot, the rows of children in paper hats! It's truly a good one to have...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how the memory of such a profoundly thankful event gives an old snapshot an extraordinary value.
    BTW Did you notice that one sailor in the top photo on the VEDay.org website has a black eye?

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it wasn't for some bits on the TV the anniversary is a non-event round here. I can't say that I remember the day in 1945 either but it rained heavily on VJ Day. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the women and children...not a man in sight. What sacrifices were made by all of them. Great photos reminding us of those days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for telling me about it being VE day...certainly a day that was long awaited by many. Great to see some got to sit down and celebrate, at least for a while, though I have heard it took several more years before things returned somewhat to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have seamlessly woven your photos and the stories behind them into this Sepia Saturday #278. I've never heard of VE Day; but I am at least aware of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the perspective. The first photo is a rich ground for contemplation of what May 8th meant for Europe and UK. I found that I had "goose bumps" just reading Churchill's words. And then to close the circle with the photo of your folks and brother --- very nice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank goodness that war was won. I just recently read part of another speech by Churchill. What motivating force he must have been during those dark times. The photograph of your parents and brother is precious. Your brother's little outfit is so very cute. Had you not said, I would have guessed him a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder how many of those buns your brother fingered before they were passed along the table. Church photos taken during an important dinner or celebration were common at one time. I can't recall my church ever doing a group photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That huge plate of buns will have looked abundant in the eyes of the Dutch people who where experiencing (the end of) their 'hunger winter' famine at the same time. I'm glad we are living in much better times.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.