Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Friday 29 August 2014

Must Run!!


"We thought we were running away from the grown-us and now we are the grown-ups."
Margaret Attwood 


It’s 1982 and we’re running away from Daddy, down a country lane somewhere in the Black Forest. We were on holiday there in a caravan and we had a great time. We ran all the way down the lane and back to Mummy, who was very pleased to have us back. We weren’t being naughty, just being happy!


It’s 1987 and we’re on the run again! This time we’re running, jumping, hopping and skipping for joy. We’re on our way back home to Netheravon in Wiltshire where we lived whilst Daddy was in the RAF there. This is Fittleton, the next village along. Isn’t it pretty?


That’s enough running away; time to walk sensibly on the pavement.

This week’s Sepia Saturday has a picture of a man running away from a beach, and Mummy says it suggested that she post these picture of her two darlings. Mummy says to remind you all to run away and visit all the other nice people who have posted this week. Here’s a little picture of the big one Uncle Alan posted before he went away on his holidays. Mummy chose it and Uncle Alan did all the hard work putting it on the page, so Mummy says he deserves a holiday! It’s time for us to return to the photo album now before our grown-up selves find what we’ve been up to. Must run!!!

18 comments:

  1. They are all three wonderful photos in beautiful street scenes. It is so great that you are in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Mummy' has a clever sense of humor, and 'daddy's' comment is rather interesting? :)) Nice pictures. The little village of Fiddleton looks very charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! a nice trip into the past.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I (or others in my family) had taken more photos like these. They're great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the second photo our daughter seems to be imbued with the spirit of Eric Morecambe! The pictures certainly evoke pleasant memories of warm summer evenings with out lovely little children. (edited so now out of temporal sequence - wretched software)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos of little people having fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such lovely happy memories of your childhood. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it had been mine Sue! These are my children speaking as their photographic selves. Just a bit of fun :)

      Delete
  8. Young children seem to spend a lot of time running around, but I don't remember doing that when I was their age.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is just one marvelous post, and your lovely family photos are just perfect as if you captured them special just for your lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like some people are confused about who the children are, but never mind, they are great natural photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderfully natural photos that evoke fun and innocence. The streets are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I look at my grandchildren I often reflect on how much energy and enthusiasm kids have...you've captured that perfectly here. Love the village lanes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the running. I remember when I could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to escape down those streets one day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post, Nell. When I was a kid, I rarely walked anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.