Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Saturday 19 March 2011

Doing My Own Thing

After a working lifetime of planning, clock-watching and decision-making, one of the chief pleasures of retirement is to do as I please, when I please and with whom I please. Though it has to be said, as my retirement is shared with my husband, whose last working day was the same as mine, he is my companion of choice for most leisure activities. We were determined that we would also enjoy our own space and precious 'Me Time' and not be like other early-retiree couples who live in one another's pockets. So, he goes off with his walking group or to watch the rugby in local bar with friends, and I have the house to myself.

We have his 'n hers computers, as he is wedded to his PC and I am a Mac devotee. We occasionally find ourselves side by side in the study clattering away (in his case) and gently tap-tapping in mine. We moved to Lanzarote for the sunshine, and he enjoys chatting with members of various local forums online. This in turn has led to new friendships and a wider social group than we had when we lived in UK. When the clattering becomes too much I remove myself to another room to indulge in one of my creative hobbies or read. I have always loved to sew and I am 'learning' my new whizzy sewing-machine and discovering all the clever things it can do.

I never had time to write creatively when I was teaching, although I constantly had to judge the literary efforts of children; now I can indulge my whims at last. The blog is a new departure for me so we will see where it leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.