Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Saturday 6 January 2018

All in a Row


Midsummer rather than Midwinter and we’re all keeping cool with an ice lolly, or ‘suckers' as we called them. We’re all sitting in a row and I’m the tiniest one in the middle, with a cute bow in my hair, very fashionable for 1954.  I don’t recognise most of the others. The girl on the far left was our next door neighbour and my parents’ goddaughter, so I’m guessing they’re all neighbours’ children. We don’t seem to be in play clothes; the girl next to me has a hand-smocked dress and the boy is wearing his slippers!

I know it’s our front garden because that is our birdbath, made by grandfather, and which has appeared in countless photographs over the years as well as always moving house with us.

I couldn’t let the first Sepia Saturday of 2018 go by without leaving my mark, even if it’s a tiny one. Our prompt image was a family group, lined up all in a row.




8 comments:

  1. Were there other boys in this neighborhood?

    Great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Look to have enjoyed that Ice !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute kids! I bet they dripped all over their clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful photo. I used to love smocking as a girl, so this dress is nice to see. Also great that the older children included you in the fun even though you were littler :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, delicious. I wonder where they all are now...and what they'd think to see this photo of themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very cute seated variation on the line-up! And no photo is ever too tiny for Sepia Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the photo! Nothing better than a picture of a bunch of little kids enjoying themselves. I wonder what flavor those ice pops were? They look like they might be lemon? So if they dripped on their clothing they wouldn't stain too badly?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how we can have played with people every day almost, as kids, but not recall them later. I suppose one doesn't have enough memory to remember everything!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.