Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Friday 7 September 2018

Step in Time

Steps have appeared as prompts before in Sepia Saturday, and really I should be sitting on ‘The Naughty Step" for being absent for so long.  Admin Number One (Alan) has his head so full of his new grandson that he forgot to tell Admin Number Two (Me) that he was away, and to remind me to keep an eye on all things sepia. It wasn’t just Alan that was all at sea, but being the experienced sepia sailors that you all are, you navigated your way through without the Captain and First Mate.

I haven't got such a good excuse as Alan for neglecting my post, but if you read my very last sepia offering you will have seen that we became doggy parents for the first time ever, and Pico has rather monopolised our time.

People standing on steps appear in lots of photo albums and mine is no exception. The difficult task was narrowing it down to just a few,and especially ones that hadn't been used before.


 Here’s my Dad in 1961, standing on the steps of Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight.



A few years later in 1995, my parents and I posed on some steps at Avebury Manor in Wiltshire. 



Then in 2013 I was going up in the world. This was the Jardin de Cactus, here in Lanzarote. 







10 comments:

  1. Wow, that last picture is quite elaborate!!! Nice entry for Sepia Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear from you, and you were sure stepping right along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been fascinated by steps and where they disappear to. Don't fancy the walk to Carisbrooke castle though, that's a lot of steps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Rosie commented, that's quite a shot of you on the steps around the Jardin d Cactus! But those steps of Carisbrooke Castle - whew! I see hand rails have been erected. Back in the day, of course, there were no rails. I think I would have been hugging the wall in either direction but especially coming down as I'm sure I would develop vertigo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naughty Nell. That little dog is so adorable. I can see how he could take up lots of time. The castle steps do look daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you back, Marilyn, and I know what it can be like with a new puppy! You have given us a lovely collection of step photos, but I don’t think I would have ventured up those steps at Carisbrooke Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Photos on stairs tend to have the camera positioned at the bottom. The perspective from the top is more dramatic especially with spiral staircases. As for dogs, I predict some more canine themes in future sepia themes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Isle of Wight steps are breathtaking. In NYC, we have a similar set of steps in Inwood from an upper region (probably once mountainous) to a lower area of northern Manhattan. I have only walked down them, but would not want to walk up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I especially enjoyed viewing your photo of Carisbrooke Castle on the Isle of Wight .
    I have very happy memories of a couple of holidays there in the late 70's but (for some reason) 'have no photos of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Marilyn! I enjoyed your posted and wanted to stop by and to wish you guys a Happy New Year. ~ KM

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.