Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Saturday 25 November 2017

There’s Something About Mary

There’s definitely something about our particular Mary. Today, this remarkable lady is 97 years old. She was born in 1920, lived through the Depression, served in WW2, married in 1942 and celebrated seventy years of happy marriage. She had her share of sadness, losing her brother when she was a teenager, and twin babies when a young woman. But she also had much happiness in her life and gave so much love to others.

She is a clever, artistic, creative woman who could play the piano and accordion, draw, sew and knit. A great reader and a lover of literature, poetry and the theatre, she taught us so much

She was widowed five years ago tomorrow, and lived independently for a few more years after that. More frail now, and with a rapidly fading memory, she lives contentedly in a care home. She’s my much loved Mum, but also a Mother-in-Law, grandma, and great grandma. I’ve written about Mary and her life many times on this blog, and her stories and anecdotes have been a rich source of material for my Sepia Saturday posts. To celebrate her 97 years here’s something about our very own Mary in a gallery of pictures.


Babyhood and Childhood 





















Growing from Teenage to Womanhood























Mother and Mother-in-Law 





















Grandma and Great Grandma



Loyal wife of seventy years



7 comments:

  1. Great collection of smiles from your mum! It's hard to consolidate a long lived life into just a few shots, but you've done that, as well as included many of her relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what an absolutely wonderful tribute to your Mum! As I know you do, I feel so lucky to have baby and childhood to teenage and into adulthood pictures of my Mom right up to her 98th year - with a brand new, and very attractive - hairdo! You're never too old to be young and I think the bright smiles of your Mum prove it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, Mary! Thank you for sharing the love of daughter and family. It makes us Sepians seem more like distant cousins a few times removed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and accomplished woman is Mary. The photos you chose are wonderful. I feel like she's an old friend from your posts. Happy Birthday Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always fascinating to see a life developing in photos. I wish her all the best at such an impressive age!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful tribute to your mother, and Happy Birthday to her! How fortunate to have such a wonderful set of time-lapse photos spanning her long and creative life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely looking lady, and a lovely tribute to her. Please pass on my best wishes and congratulate her for reaching 97!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.