Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Thursday 6 November 2014

Fishing Trip


This is my Dad Les c 1931, with his siblings and cousins fishing for ‘tiddlers’ in the River Trent, Nottingham, when he was about ten or eleven years of age. Dad is standing behind his younger brother John (holding the fishing net) and next to his cousin Betty. Dad’s little sister Jean has hold of Betty’s brother Dougie on one side and on the other John is holding his little sister’s hand. Both girls have their dresses tucked in their knickers to save them from accidentally getting wet.




In this clip of a larger photo Dad has hold of the net but he looks decidedly worried about it. I wonder if it was shared by all the children and if they took turns to fish with it.

No-one in my family can be described as a fisherman and nobody owns a rod and line; this is is the nearest we get.


Years later Dad painted this watercolour of a young boy with his fishing net.







Here in Lanzarote locals can often be seen along the coast, standing on the rocks, fishing for their family’s supper. They are quite determined and occasionally one loses his life when he is swept from his perch by a rogue wave.











This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt features three miners in 1916 Alberta, relaxing on a fishing trip.

Why not cast your line and see what other fishy business the Sepians have been up to this week. You’re bound to catch some wonderful stories and images.








13 comments:

  1. I've watched those fishermen in Lanzarote but never seen them catch anything. Too hazardous for me to indulge in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Dad was such a darling. I didn't realize the girl's skirt were tucked up at first and I couldn't figure out what kind of costume they had on. Poor little things - I'm sure that wasn't too comfortable and probably kept them from running too fast. Funny how some families get "hooked" on fishing and for other's it has no appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one adorable photo of your Dad & his siblings & cousins. His little sister, Jean, looks just a tad apprehensive about the whole endeavor, however. So cute. And that one fellow in particular, balancing out there on that lump of a rock in particular . . . I can see where an unexpected wave could knock him off his perch. It would be one thing to simply land in a pool of water, but with all those rocks strewn around, a fall could quite easily be serious. I think I'd stick to a nice solid shore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those rocks beg to be stood on, dangerous or not. So if I ever get to Lanzarote, I am duly warned and will resist the temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would probably want to try fishing if I live there--but not from those rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful photo of your Dad and the other kids, they look so full of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dresses tucked in knickers. My oh my. I'd forgotten all about that !. And what a glorious bunch of happy kids. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really loved that first photos with the girls' knickers tucked in...and that worried frown. We lose fishermen off the rocks too when the surf is running high...which makes me realise I'd have had photos...somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect photos for this theme. There is something about fishing that makes it a magical mystery no matter what age or what place. Cast your line into the water and wait for an invisible fish to bite. Who knows what you might catch?

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is an adorable photo! Love those smiles and tucked in dresses and hand holding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I understand the explosion in her shorts! Very cute bunch, I also enjoy learning about your family, and the great photographs (each tell so much of a story too) Good times were enjoyed by all then, and every time you see them now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love that first photo. What a treat. They all look so very happy and I love how they are all caring the "tiddler".

    ReplyDelete
  13. That kind of fishing looks very dangerous indeed (even when you're a good swimmer, those rocks looks nasty). Cute photo of your dad with relatives!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.