Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Sunday 23 September 2012

Goose Bumps


Goose flying down;
flinging, slinging.
Caught in a vortex;
ringing, winging.
Plucked from the air;
deported, exported.
Vortically challenged;
transported, distorted.

Feathers descending;
swirling, whirling.
Fluttering earthward;
curling, unfurling.
Plucked until bare;
shivering, quivering.
Lands with a thud;
Dinner delivering!

© Marilyn Brindley

Written for The Mag, where Tess Kincaid, gave us the painting by David Salle, called 'Flying Down'to interpret however we wish. Fly down there to see what other contributors came up with.

17 comments:

  1. Hello Marilyn:
    Utterly inspiring and great fun. Your poem really does gather momentum as one reads down until it ends with a real flourish on the dinner table! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a novel way to spark poems, I'm not sure I could do it. I agree with the Hattatts, you've really nailed the motion of the winged bird - poor thing. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. unique take. I never did figure out what the blue and gold thing was below the duck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...intense and rather dramatic...easy to see you though, you paint it well...lots of action...and dinner, hmm....and to think a few moments ago it was flying gracefully...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You certainly made this one interesting, concentrating on the bird - high drama worked well,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could feel myself falling for this one from the outset.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Goose! Excellently done!

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  8. La Petite Nell: Fine response to the prompt, beautifully crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the staccato feel of your poem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has to end in my top 5 favourite of the week list! I felt the breeze taking me away the more I read! I love this one, Nell!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...ah so delicious I'm sure, but will there be soup too? I think I may be singing these words in the shower....just a really nice ring all the way through! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely swing to this - it has to be read aloud!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Better check that plane for damage , could be a birdstrike, what a fun poem !

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so lyrical and really works well with the falling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. In death there is continued survival, with the provision of food and warm feathers for the nest. I love the title and the cyclic motion of the downward free fall. Thanks for sharing these fabulous words, Little Nell. =D

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.