Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Saturday 16 December 2017

Snowbabies



This little snowbaby is me aged about three years in the mid 1950s. It has only recently come to light, when a loose negative fell from an old album. The print was nowhere to be found, so this is a scan of that negative. It’s the only photo of me in the snow as film was precious and usually only used on high days and holidays. I don’t even know where it was taken.


This snowbaby is my daughter aged two, in the back garden of our married quarters at RAF Wittering in 1979. Her baby brother was only a few months old at the time and was probably tucked up warm and snug in his cot.


A couple of years later he was joining his sister in the front garden of our married quarters at RAF High Wycombe. Incredibly, only a few weeks before at Easter, it had been hot enough for them to play in the paddling pool.


Here are his twin snowbabies in their own back garden in Kent. The slide is covered in several inches of snow but that didn't stop my granddaughter.


Join us today at Sepia Saturday to see how other contributors responded to the prompt image of an empty Crookes Valley Park, Sheffield* around forty years ago. No hardy souls are braving the slide and swings here; they were probably all out sledging and building snowmen.

*Image by Alan Burnett

4 comments:

  1. Nice batch of snowy children. The scratches on the one of you make a nice snowy effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely memories of your family enjoying the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first photo of you is really special. You did a fine job scanning the negative. I've never tried that. Do you have to have a special program to be able to do it? As for the other pix of daughter and granddiddos, what cute snowbabies! And doesn't color film make all the difference! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh lovely! And I just realized how rare it would be to see a playground without children...must have been early hours or bitter cold!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.