Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Sunday 10 June 2012

Signature Piece





Determined to do it properly,
he read the manual.
He followed the instructions to the letter,
and studied the pictures.
He even watched a video, 
to improve his performance.
He took his stick, 
vermillion red and heated by the flames, 
and placing it where required,
he bore down quickly and firmly and then withdrew,
Yes, he’d made a very good impression, 
and her fate was sealed.
© Marilyn Brindley

I found myself ‘waxing lyrical’ again and finding I can’t ignore puns! I hope you enjoy this poem however you interpret it; literally, figuratively or with a double entendre, but don’t think that you have to watch an instructional video yourself! Do listen to this golden oldie from Brian Hyland though, which will take some of us back to 1962.





Linking to The Mag 121, hosted by Tess Kincaid of Willow Manor.

27 comments:

  1. i like how you picked up on the seal, used it as a pun in the poem

    painting details

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello:
    It is rather sad, we feel that 'he' had to read the manual to do it properly. Oh, for passionate, careless abandon....even if the result was slightly smudged!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha. to do a proper wax job on a letter i would prob have to watch a vid too...it does make me wonder though as it is a much older way of sealing but th vid is modern...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the many interpretations of this piece, Little Nell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gday Nell, reminds me of branding cattle when i was working on a station , though i have had dreams of female cows pursuing me with hot branding irons !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sealing wax fascinated me when I was a nipper.If the blackened-tipped, red stick had been gold, I couldn't have held it in higher esteem! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that's great. I love a good pun - and a bad one! (and this one is gooood!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. a most original take on the prompt - love the imagery

    ReplyDelete
  9. layers of puns! Love it! I remember sealing wax was so cool when I was a kid-drove my mother crazy most likely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right about transporting me back to 1962 ~ I ended up smack dab in the middle! Three children under the age of three! Husband in college, living in public housing! Whew! One of my favorite pieces of music AND I LOVE your poem, open to interpretation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I enjoy puns :) Waxing lyrical is good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. great play on words and i love the title

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the sexy interpretation...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm thinking of The Mask of Zorro or some such epic story. Very thought-provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the sexual undertones here, subtle yet effective. "Her fate was sealed" clinched it for me ~ Very well done ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like those wax seals that you can press with a fancy stamp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your punning - sealing is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love all the ways the Brian Hyland song, the picture prompt and your poem work together, Marilyn. I think the title is a perfect introduction. I enjoyed the innuendos. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i found this sad too....

    ReplyDelete
  20. "vermillion red and heated by the flames,
    and placing it where required,
    he bore down quickly and firmly and then withdrew,
    Yes, he’d made a very good impression,
    and her fate was sealed"

    Perfect, Little Nell! Very rarely one sees a seal being embossed. Good impression, great pun!

    "Though we got to say good-bye for the summer...I send you all my love..in a letter, sealed with a kiss...B Hyland brought back fond memories!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  21. mysterious and heartbreaking. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the double entendre angle; but that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ha! I can go for the obvious, which is just about sealing a letter with wax, but I see a lot more metaphor and innuendo in this clever wording. Thinking you were going for the double-entendre like J Cosmo said above, and if not, well...you sure did a good job at that angle!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another stunning little piece! And the harmonies and acoustics in this song are marvelous! Can hardly believe it's that old now - still golden, mind you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.