Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Thursday 14 April 2011

Are they trying to tell us something?

It was my birthday a few weeks ago, followed by my husband's last week. At our age we don't get dozens of cards but of the ones we did get, it was remarkable that several alluded to drink (alcoholic beverages). Yes, they were funny; however, it left us feeling distinctly unsettled. Upon retirement in the sun, it would be very easy to treat each day as though it was a holiday, but we promised ourselves that we would most definitely not do so and that we would stick to our working week routine of only drinking at weekends. When friends and family come to stay we relax the rule, as we don't want to sit there po-faced whist they enjoy their holiday.


The stress of the aforementioned working week was enough to drive the most dedicated teetotaller to drink, but knowing it would soon be Friday night, and we could have a welcome G & T and a bottle of something red with supper, somehow kept us going. Oddly enough I'd swear I enjoyed it all the more because it wasn't an everyday habit. I suppose it was 'binge-drinking' of sorts as there is a school of thought that you should spread your units out throughout the week, but hey three days on, four days off worked for me!

2 comments:

  1. Aren't greetings cards generally hideous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for stopping by and following my blog!

    You make such a good point there, I enjoy a drinks with a dinner out or to celebrate birthdays etc but don't feel the need to get completely trashed the way I used to through University. Funny how birthday cards often seem to imply you'll be reading them through wine goggles!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.